The final and semi finals of the cup are held at Mount Noddy each year. In fact the cup final is part of the East Grinstead Finals Day programme each September and the winners receive the trophy in a presentation at the end of the match.
The Simmons Hospital Cup, to give it its full title, provides competitive bowling open to teams from local clubs within a 15 miles radius of East Grinstead. This cup is considered to be a very prestigious event by the local clubs who hold it in the highest esteem.
The money raised by the cup entries provide an annual donation for the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead that is world famous for its burns unit that rebuilt the lives of badly burnt air crew in the Battle of Britain. These brave men became known as the Guinea Pig Club. The Queen Victoria Hospital who pioneered the surgery back in 1940, are still leaders in the field of burns treatment.
Any club wishing to participate in the 2017 Cup Challenge requiring the rules of entry should contact the Simmons Cup Organiser, Mike Whiteman, on 01342-300966.
William Simmons donated the Trophy to The East Grinstead Bowling Club as a result of his delight with the treatment he received whilst in hospital at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead. The cup is engraved “Simmons Queen Victoria Hospital Cup” and was first presented to the club in 1944.
The Queen Victoria Hospital is renowned world-wide for its pioneering work in plastic surgery by Archibald Macindoe who changed the lives of more than 600 World War Two airmen with his innovative technical and psychological methods. These men formed “The Guinea Pig Club”.
Every year there is a championship between bowling clubs in the south, and the proceeds raised are donated to The Queen Victoria Hospital for their continuing work of excellence in the medical field.
From the local press in 1952. William Simmons is holding the trophy.
THE SEVENTH SIMMONS BOWLS CUP FINAL
Of the original entry of 17 teams from the East Grinstead, Lingfield, Edenbridge, Mount Noddy, Popes Mead (Crawley) and Newick Clubs, for the Simmons Hospital Bowls Club, the final was fought out on the Mount Noddy green on Sunday afternoon by Mount Noddy “B” and Popes Mead “B”.
The trophy, donated, by Mr. William Simmons of East Grinstead, has never left the town. Four times the East Grinstead club has won it and Mount Noddy has provided the winning team on three occasions. This tradition was maintained on Sunday when Mount Noddy beat Popes Mead by 26 shots to 11.
The winning team comprised J.M.Gray, J.A.Phillips and A.W.Cawte. The Popes Mead rink was W.Turner, J.Catinull and R.E.Woolgar.
Mount Noddy started off by scoring a four and two threes and at the fifth end had established a lead of 11 shots to 1. Popes Mead fought back and, mainly by virtue of six at the tenth end, had reduced their arrears at that stage to 16-9.
However, the Noddy were too good on their own green and at the 15th end were 23-10, running out by 26-11.
How funds raised by the Simmons Cup help The Queen Victoria Hospital
An example below is from the Queen Victoria Hospital Annual Report 2002/03
The East Grinstead Bowling Club raised £500 at the annual Simmons Hospital Cup tournament, which funded the purchase of a cuff pressure monitor for the Russell Davies Unit, the hospital’s recovery ward, and a plaster trolley for the Minor Injuries Unit.
From the Club’s AGM on 19th November 2010:
Forty-four triples teams from twenty local clubs took part this year. The winners were a team which was entered by Richard Monk from Westerham Bowling Club. This month a donation of £340 was made to the Queen Victoria Hospital for the purchase of audio equipment for the A Wing Theatres. Sheila Kane, Charitable Fund Manager at the Queen Victoria asked for thanks to be passed to all those involved with the competition.
This year 28 teams took part, with Handcross beating West Hoathly in the final.
A total donation of £530 is to be donated to Queen Victoria Hospital made up of £420 competition fees and £110 from donations.
Simmons Cup Finalists : Handcross (Winners) ; West Hoathly